District Court Advocate
Responsible to: Attorney
Provide victim support and follow-up:
- Facilitate the daily Information Session as scheduled with other staff, presenting educational materials on the dangers and dynamics of domestic violence as well as provide information on the court process, accompany victims to the first appearance and process necessary paperwork after court, i.e. bond conditions, orders to appear.
- Assist victims with the completion of paperwork and filing of protection orders.
- Provide safety planning and Safehome services to high risk victims seeking protection orders.
- Court accompaniment as schedule allows (criminal trials, scheduling dockets, final protection orders dockets).
- Attend final protection order docket and trials.
- Respond to inquiries from victims and others.
Perform other duties as assigned:
- Attend monthly Safehome staff meetings.
- Attend weekly Victim Assistance Unit staff meetings.
- Attend Court/Legal Team meetings.
- Attend Safehome retreats.
- Meet regularly with supervisor.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive, and the employee will also perform other job-related duties as assigned. This organization reserves the right to change job duties as need arises. This description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The District Court Advocate must be knowledgeable of domestic violence issues and quickly learn issues related to the legal process involving domestic violence. The Advocate must be committed to providing advocacy for victims and survivors of domestic violence. The Advocate must possess strong speaking and writing skills and be able to handle the rapid pace of a busy court docket. Must be organized and willing to work as a part of the SAFEHOME staff team and the Victims’ Assistance Unit team. Must pass a KBI records check. Must adhere to all Johnson County District Attorney’s office policies regarding accessing and disseminating information.
A Bachelor’s Degree is preferred in Social Work or related field. Must have experience working in crisis intervention. Must not be a Mandatory Reporter. Must be able to lift 40 pounds.
Bilingual in English/Spanish is a highly preferred skill for this position.
We welcome interested candidates to apply on indeed.com. Should you have any questions feel free to contact Human Resources at 913.432.9300.