Title: Client Advocate
Responsible To: Client Care Manager
Evening Hours: Tues-Sat 4pm-12am
Provide service to hotline and shelter office on an as needed basis.
- Handle crisis calls in a compassionate and resourceful manner and document call in the current database.
- Provide referrals and resources to hotline callers.
- Provide support for clients.
- Obtain medication for residents when requested.
- Retrieve items from storage for residents as needed.
- Monitor and manage problems in shelter, reporting them to proper staff.
- Monitor shelter security system including security cameras, security gates, and alarms.
- Train volunteers and new staff members.
- Keep office tidy and organized.
- Help maintain readiness of vacant bedrooms for future clients. Be willing to pack rooms as needed and able to lift up to 40 pounds.
- Complete intakes and exits on residents during your shift using proper documentation.
- Handle food including cooking, serving, and cleaning.
- Inform supervisor or other staff of any irregularity or problems.
- Attend quarterly hotline meetings.
- Work at least 2 shifts every 3 months.
- Check scheduling app periodically to apply for open shifts.
- Attend as needed supervisory meeting with direct supervisor.
Respond to other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive and the employee will also perform other job-related duties as assigned. This organization reserves the right to change job duties as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The Hotline Advocate must demonstrate knowledge of domestic violence and women’s issues have ability to communicate well, possess crisis intervention skills and have experience in conflict resolution. The Advocate must also be able to work independently, without much supervision, be flexible, have excellent judgment in crisis situations and be comfortable with data entry. Must be able to lift 40 pounds. Fluency in Spanish or American Sign Language preferred but not required.
A bachelor’s degree is preferred – in social work or similar discipline. Advocate must be empathetic, have good communication skills, and understand the concept of boundaries with clients. Advocate must be able to work under substantial stress and handle frequent crisis situations. Must not have any unresolved emotional issues regarding Advocate’s own past experience with abuse of any kind.
We welcome interested candidates to apply on indeed.com. Should you have any questions feel free to contact Human Resources at 913.432.9300