This is a full time position.
Potential Available Shifts:
Friday-Monday: 8:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Sunday-Thursday: 4:00 p.m. – 12:30 a.m.
Tuesday-Saturday 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday-Saturday: 4:00 p.m. – 12:30 a.m.
Responsible To: Shelter Operations Manager
- Provide service to hotline and shelter office.
- Handle crisis calls in a compassionate and resourceful manner and document call in the current database.
- Provide referrals and resources to hotline callers.
- Provide support for clients.
- Obtain medication for residents when requested.
- Retrieve items from storage for residents as needed.
- Monitor shelter security system including security cameras, security gates, and alarms.
- Train volunteers and new staff members.
- Keep office tidy and organized.
- Help maintain readiness of vacant bedrooms for future clients. Be willing to pack rooms as needed and able to lift up to 40 pounds.
- Complete intakes and departures with residents during your shift using proper documentation.
- Handle food including cooking, serving, and cleaning.
- Inform supervisor or other staff of any irregularity.
- Attend quarterly hotline meetings.
- Respond to other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and proof of insurance.
Shifts are set and shift times could vary to include days, evenings, overnights, and/or weekends. Work weeks could be 8 to 19 hours per week. Exact schedule availability will be discussed during the interview.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive and the employee will also perform other job-related duties as assigned. This organization reserves the right to change job duties as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The Hotline Advocate must demonstrate knowledge of domestic violence and women’s issues have ability to communicate well, possess crisis intervention skills and have experience in conflict resolution. The Advocate must also be able to work independently, without much supervision, be flexible, have excellent judgment in crisis situations and be comfortable with data entry. Must be able to lift 40 pounds.
A bachelor’s degree is preferred – in social work or similar discipline. Advocate must be empathetic, have good communication skills, and understand the concept of boundaries with clients. Advocate must be able to work under substantial stress and handle frequent crisis situations. Must not have any unresolved emotional issues regarding Advocate’s own past experience with abuse of any kind.
Salary based on experience. Flexible, supportive, family-friendly environment.
Please send the application (found at www.safehome-ks.org under Information/Careers), resume and cover letter to SAFEHOME at email@example.com or fax to 913-432-9302, Attn. Human Resources.