Title: Healthcare Advocate-M,T,Th,F 2 p.m. to 12 a.m. midnight
Responsible to: Client Care Manager
Classification: Full-Time Non Exempt
Objective: The Healthcare Advocate is responsible for assessing the needs of Safehome services for individuals primarily referred to Safehome through an outreach partner such as hospital, clinic or law enforcement. The Healthcare Advocate must have the ability to communicate well, actively listen and have excellent judgement. The Healthcare Advocate provides support and recommends services most appropriate.
- Travels to outreach site within 45 minutes of receiving inquiry.
- Actively listens and assess the needs of individual while providing support.
- Assist individual with safety planning and intentions for entering shelter by analyzing, interpreting and deducing active and potential lethality risk factors.
- Recommends services most appropriate. Including Safehome services (shelter, therapy, advocacy, legal) and external services not provided by Safehome.
- Determines eligibility for emergency shelter and schedules in-takes.
- Provides supportive interaction and information on the dynamics of domestic violence to individual.
- Shows respect to all individuals in a consistent and ethical manner on a daily basis.
- Make consistent, appropriate decisions regarding referral, safety planning and utilization of emergency shelter.
- Maintains accurate, confidentiality and integrity of sensitive information.
- Complete documentation of interaction surrounding the on-site assessment.
- Conducts admission and initial intake assessments, orientations, exit interviews, and safety planning.
- Actively listens and assess the needs of callers while providing support.
- Assist callers with safety planning and intentions for entering shelter by analyzing, interpreting and deducing active and potential lethality risk factors.
- Recommends services most appropriate.
- Shows respect to all callers in a consistent and ethical manner on a daily basis.
- Provides supportive interactions and information on the dynamics of domestic violence to shelter residents.
- Maintains accurate and confidential records for each client, documenting resident behaviors, incidents, interactions, and progress in consistent and ethical manner.
- Monitors building status and cleanliness, reporting malfunctions and ensuring building is kept clean.
4. Monitors resident activity throughout shelter and manage conflict through appropriate intervention and communication with Case Managers.
5. Identifies barriers to success for shelter residents and communicates to Case Managers and Client Care Manager.
- Monitors and secures physical environment to maximize safety of residents and co-workers, implementing appropriate reactions to security threats as needed.
7. Develops an understanding of agency and program policies and procedures, implementing appropriately and interpreting to residents and volunteers.
8. Assist in maintaining adequate level of shelter supplies for residents.
9. Monitor security gate, cameras and entry into shelter.
10. Conduct shelter walk throughs to ensure resident safety and check for facility needs.
- Complete appropriate agency forms to document critical incidents.
- Help maintain readiness of vacant rooms for future clients. Be willing to pack rooms.
- Handle food. Including cooking, serving and cleaning.
- Keep office organized.
- Attend team meetings to continually advance knowledge, skills and abilities for assisting victims/survivors of domestic violence.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to identify and solve problems in a calm and logical manner. Problem solving will include cooperative efforts with clients, as well as co-workers, and supervisor
- An active listener with exceptional judgement.
- Effective computer literacy skills (Microsoft office suite, data entry skills, word processing, basic email skills, client management programs, etc.)
- Effective oral and written communication skills. This includes telephone, email, and social media etiquette.
- Must be responsible, accountable and demonstrate integrity.
- Must be self-motivated and have the ability to work independently.
- Must demonstrate sound judgement, prioritize tasks and manage time efficiently and resources effectively.
- Must be flexible and open to feedback, change and new ideas.
- Must understand the concept of boundaries with clients.
- Ability to work respectfully and professionally with diverse groups of people and various populations in a culturally competent manner.
- Maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds.
- High school degree required.
- Experience preferred.
- Have a valid driver’s license and must be able to drive.
- Must not have any unresolved emotional issues regarding personal current or past experience with abuse of any kind.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive and the employee will also perform other job-related duties as assigned. This organization reserves the right to change job duties as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
We welcome interested candidates to apply on indeed.com. Should you have any questions feel free to contact Human Resources at 913.432.9300