Title: District Court Advocate – Part-Time (20 hours)
Responsible to: Court/Legal Department Manager
Provide victim support and follow-up:
- Attend Information Session and First Appearance Hearings.
- Facilitate the Information Session, as scheduled, presenting educational materials on the dangers and dynamics of domestic violence as well as provide information on the court process.
- Assist victims with the completion of paperwork and filing of protection orders.
- Provide safety planning and SAFEHOME services to high risk victims seeking protection orders.
- Process necessary paperwork after court, i.e. bond conditions, orders to appear.
- Court accompaniment as schedule allows (criminal trials, scheduling dockets, final protection order dockets).
Perform other duties as assigned:
- Attend monthly SAFEHOME staff meetings.
- Attend Court/Legal Department meeting.
- Attend SAFEHOME retreats.
- Meet regularly with supervisor.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive, and the employee will also perform other job-related duties as assigned. This organization reserves the right to change job duties as need arises. This description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The District Court Advocate must be knowledgeable of domestic violence issues and quickly learn issues related to the legal process involving domestic violence. The Advocate must be committed to providing advocacy for victims and survivors of domestic violence. The Advocate must possess strong speaking and writing skills and be able to handle the rapid pace of a busy court docket. Must be organized and willing to work as a part of the SAFEHOME staff team and the Victims’ Assistance Unit team. Must adhere to all Johnson County District Attorney’s office policies regarding accessing and disseminating information. Must pass a KBI records check.
A Bachelor’s Degree is preferred. Must have experience working in crisis intervention. Must not be a Mandatory Reporter. Must be able to lift 40 pounds.